Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Occassionally Gman has writing assignments in Language Arts.  He has proved to be quite the creative writer.  Here is one of his most recent compositions.  Enjoy!



The Mystery of the Missing Cakes!


Hello. So, you want to hear a story, eh? Well, I’ve got a whopper of one for you. The mystery of the missing cakes!



   It was a sunny day. I was riding my snazzy new bike I won at a raffle at the store. I carried a shoe box in a basket I attached to my bike. Inside was $7.45, just enough money to watch the new movie coming out at 4:00 today. A mystery movie. As I rode down Marlin Line St. I parked my bike by Mr. Chocolate’s bakery. I wanted to see what kind of new pastry he had baked. He always bakes something new every Saturday. Since it was only 12:30, I had plenty of time for a break and besides, I was thirsty, as I forgot my water bottle. Thankfully, Mr. Chocolate has a water fountain in his bakery.  
    Before I walked in I paused. Mr. Chocolate’s window display was covered by what looked like a bed sheet? Or maybe a curtain?  Perhaps he was preparing to unveil his new baking item. I know I’ve seen something like this before, but I can’t put my finger on it. I hurried inside. An aroma of rising dough, chocolate and sugar, and...what was that other smell? I didn’t see Mr. Chocolate anywhere. Where could he be?
    I got a drink at the fountain, then went to The Window. The Window was a big long wall of windows, going all across one end of the bakery to the other. Mr. Chocolate had keys that he could use to open a door in the wall. Behind the wall was where Mr. Chocolate baked things. His bakery area has windows all along it so that you can actually watch him work.  You can see his magical creations being formed before your very eyes!
    Mr. Chocolate was nowhere to be seen, nor his workers. I got off the stool and headed for the door. When I was about to leave, I heard a soft grumbling, coming from a dark corner. It was Mr. Chocolate!

“Oh, hello... what’s your name?” he asked.

“Chelmey,” I replied.

“Ah, Mr. Chelmey. Aren’t you the 10 year old who loves mysteries and reads books like crazy, never forgetting a single detail?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Well then, I may just have a mystery for you.”

“You do?”

“Oh, yes. Could you help me?”

“You bet! But one more small detail. What do you need done?”

    Mr. Chocolate explained. I wrote everything he said in my clue journal. An hour before I arrived, Mr. Chocolate was putting in a new type of cake in his display case. It was a giant cake. It had three layers, and was very wide. It was a cake fit for a party! He had baked each layer separately. It was so big, he had to carry each layer in a box on a dolly! He brought the first layer and put it in the display case inside the display window. He did the same for the other layers. Then he got the other things that he baked as toppings. He put them by the cake. Then he went and got signs to tell about his bakery item to put on the window. He went outside and put the signs up. Then he realized he hadn’t locked the back door where he kept his keys to the display case. Oops! He came around the corner...and blacked out.
    As he woke up, he realized that he had been hit with hard with something. He felt dizzy and hot on his head...probably the same spot where he had been hit. He got up and went out the door. He realized when he came out that he had been put in a supply closet. He was able to push the door open. He looked back. Someone had locked the door, but didn’t shut it all the way!
    When he looked around, he noticed something. His keys to the display case were gone! He had rushed to the display case, only to see that someone had draped something over it and made off with the cake and toppings. He was looking at the clock when I arrived. He was mumbling the time to himself. “Don’t worry,” I said. “I’ll get your cake back.” I looked at the time. 1:30. Looks like I wasn’t going to see that movie.
    I was starting out on my bike, when I saw commotion down the street. People were handing out fliers. Someone gave me one. “Party!” it read. “3:00 today! Games! Eat-all-you-want-buffet! Water balloon fights! Fun!!” I looked for an address. It was on the other side of town! Wait a second. Go back. Eat-all-you-want-buffet? Other side of town? Commotion? Giant cake? That’s it! This party has an all-you-can-eat-buffet. If this is on the other side of town, there must have been a lot of people that were handing out fliers. And if all of them had that kind of commotion, where do you get all the food? The cake! I had better be there.
    I decided to ride my bike there. By the time I got there, it would be time. Plus, this town has water fountains on some sidewalks, so I won’t have to worry about water. I raced for the party. It was 2:30 when I got there. I went inside. A person came up to me.

“Dollar.” he said.

“Read the fine print,” I said.

The man looked at me funny. I whipped out the flier.

“Read the fine print,” I repeated.

The man read. “I don’t see anything,” he said.

I whipped out my magnifying glass. I put it over the bottom. It read, "Anyone who arrives early can enter without admission fees.”
    The man let me in without a dollar. I realized that I was in the church I go to every Sunday! No doors were open. Then I heard noise. I went over to it. Someone opened the door. He saw me and said, “Open.” I went in. It was the sanctuary. There, I saw a gigantic table. There was food galore! Then, I saw a sheet covering something. It was big.
    Two other men carried a sign that was shaped like an arrow. It said, “Enter!” The man said, “At three o’ clock, we’ll be removing that sheet for people to see. Eat whatever you want now, but at three o’ clock, that sheet reveals something for everyone to eat. I don’t want you being the only person to see it!” He went out the door. I went outside for some fresh air. I saw a car parked by the curb down the street. No one was in it, yet no one seemed to be in the house by the curb. Hmm. What could that be? I went inside.
    Then I went into the sanctuary. I got a plate and sat down at a table. Then I turned around. I saw something weird. I went to a man. I asked where the person running this party was. I went over to the man that he pointed at.

“I know what you’re up to!” I said to the man.

“Really?” said the man in a childish tone.

“I’m not joking!” I said. “I found something that proves my hunch!”

The man looked surprised. “And what is that?” he said, laughing.

“Nothing,” I said. “And that’s what proves you guilty of stealing Mr. Chocolate’s cake!”



What did I see?

Scroll down to find out!





















NICE TRY!

GO BACK AND READ THE STORY. THERE’S NO SHORTCUTS IN LIFE.









 Answer: Chelmey never saw the board for singing hymns. The board was used to cover up the display while the host stole the cake. After everyone paid admission, the host would run off with the money and get in his car. With all the people at the party, those little one-dollar bills would add up! The host was arrested, but the party went on. Everyone got their money back. The police were helpers. And who was the new host but Mr. Chocolate! His party cakes sold like a seat right behind the end-zone of someone’s favorite team in a stadium for a dollar-a-seat! And as a reward, Mr. Chocolate bought tickets for Chelmey for the mystery movie that night. By the way, the party cakes were called Party Giants. And do you recall the strange smell? That was part of a baking Party Giant. It was an edible cake topper. Mr. Chocolate was baking another Party Giant. It was your choice of flavor (hence the chocolate), with your choice of toppings (hence the chocolate and white chocolate chips) and of course, the dough for the cake. This particular cake was for an example for a Mix-and-Match display to show what the Giants looked like.





The End

No comments:

Post a Comment