Friday, March 30, 2012

I Must Be Crazy

I must be crazy...

T-Bo and I have been reflecting a lot lately.  Wondering where "home" is and praying for an answer.  When we start talking about God and priorities the conversation usually circles around to the time we spend staring at "screens." 

If God were to show you a chart depicting the time you spent with your family, reading the Bible, charity and staring at a screen, what would that chart look like?  Be honest.

T-Bo and I know what our charts would look like and unfortunately...it's not pretty.

We also read an article this week:

http://www.google.com/gwt/x?noimg=1&u=http%3a%2f%2fca.news.yahoo.com%2fconcerns-grow-over-children-using-tablet-computers-203057554.html

Now, the boys don't have their own iPads--but they do know how to work them. Yes, even at 2, Kiki can find and play his favorite YouTube video, color or play BubbleBreaker!

This led me to bring up the "National Screen Free Week."  This week is usually in late April and it's a challenge for families to turn off the screens!  This includes, but not limited to, TV's, video games, iPhones, iPads, iEverythingelse--anything with a screen.  Shut it off...all week long.



T-Bo LOVED the idea.  He thought we should absolutely do it!  I agreed. 

With NSFWeek not until May this year (April 30-May 6), we decided to schedule our own week.  I didn't want to lose our enthusiasm for the idea, plus there are some really great reasons to have it sooner. 

First, Easter is April 8.  What better way to celebrate new beginnings and fresh starts and get your priorities straight than Easter?  Not to mention, if we aren't staring at a screen then hopefully we're being reflective.

I found a family devotional that I want to do this week.  I thought since we'd have all this free time an Easter-themed devotional would be perfect.  And I'm not talking bunnies people (although there may be crafts).

The second reason I thought next week would be perfect is because T-Bo and I are celebrating an anniversary!  As a family we could reconnect and actually SPEND time together...instead of just in the same room, each of us on a different "device."  A sort of "vow-renewing" experience without actually repeating the vows--I meant them the first time...I don't think they have an expiration date.

So, that's the idea.  Our week will start April 1 and wrap up April 7. 

Here are the rules:
1) No video games
2) No TV
3) No computer applications that aren't completely necessary**
4) No device that starts with 'i' and has a misplaced capital letter
5) No cheating
6) Phone calls are allowed. No texting.
7) Maybe e-mail checking once a day...maybe.


*T-Bo and Gman have work and school responsibilities.  I have two thoughts on Gman's work though.  Either print out all of his lessons ahead of time...or just give him the week off.  I'm sure he'd love the latter, but without screens we all may lose it.

Goals for the week:
1) To become more reflective and understanding the sacrifice of Easter
2) To become closer as a family
3) To realize what true "family time" means
4) To figure out ways to entertain ourselves

I CHALLENGE you to do this with your family too!!  If you can't do it next week, do it sometime!





If you are interested in the devotional I found, let me know...but do it before Sunday! 

See you on the 8th!

Yup, I must be crazy.

1 comment: