Wednesday, March 9, 2011

What we've been up to...

It's been awhile since my last post but we've been busy!  We received a wonderful gift from Farmers Jerry and Pat, a greenhouse!  It's perfect for our small home.  We planted peppers, herbs and eggplant (my personal favorite) amongst others in a styrofoam tray.  Each tray holds over 600 plants!  When the tiny plants sprout we'll start transferring them to larger containers until they're ready for the ground!  Can't wait!!  The top picture is our "garden,"  currently germinating in our kitchen.  The bottom two are the rapidly progressing plants of our personal fountain of knowledge, Farmer Jerry.

3 comments:

  1. You go guys! I started my herbs this week in my kitchen. Can;t wait for fresh basil!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's your favorite way to cook eggplant? I've done eggplant parmesan, but it's a ton of work the way we bake it and I don't seem to like the texture other ways. Suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite is eggplant parmesan or fried (I know, I know, terrible for you, but so tasty!).

    I stumbled upon this recipe. It looks amazing and incorporates some of my faves, goat cheese, tomato, spinach and eggplant! I'll be trying this one VERY soon!

    Grilled Eggplant Sandwich

    Ingredients -

    Eggplant:
    4 teaspoons Olive Oil
    1 clove Garlic, finely chopped
    1 1/2 teaspoons chopped, Fresh Basil
    Salt, to taste
    Fresh Ground Black Pepper
    2 small Eggplants

    Sandwiches:
    1/2 cup Cream Cheese, Low-Fat Whipped, or Goat Cheese
    4 pieces Focaccia or other good quality bread, sliced in half, lengthwise
    2/3 cup Spinach, washed and dried
    4 slices Tomato

    Preparation:

    Eggplant:
    Preheat grill to medium heat.

    Add olive oil, garlic, salt, and fresh ground pepper and ½ teaspoon fresh chopped basil to small bowl. Stir to combine.

    Brush both sides of eggplant slices with olive oil mixture.

    Grill eggplant over direct heat, 3 minutes per side.

    Sandwiches:
    Mix cream cheese, 1-tablespoon fresh chopped basil, salt, and fresh ground pepper in small bowl.

    Spread 4 halves of focaccia bread with cheese mixture.

    Top with spinach, slice of tomato and focaccia bread slice.
    http://www.eggplantrecipes.net/

    I like to substitute salt when I can. I would try oregano or thyme for a different taste. Maybe even cayenne for a kick!

    Also, I'm currently drafting a blog on "superfoods." With each food I'll be including a recipe...so stay tuned! (suggestions are welcome!)

    ReplyDelete